It is vital to clean the ducts of your house at regular intervals to prevent a number of maintenance issues and health problems.
If you want to have a deeper look at duct cleaning and are curious to know about duct cleaning services a bit more, then you may find this article helpful. Searching online provides the best HVAC companies since top-natch companies are usually associated with an effective HVAC marketing agency.
Let’s have a look at why you need to clean your ducts, when to clean them, and what you should expect from the cleaning services.
Why is Duct Cleaning Service Needed?
You may think it is not that of a big problem to have a little dirt and dust in the duct. In reality, your dirty ducts can lead to plenty of negative consequences like increased energy costs or health problems, whereas, cleaning the ducts has many benefits.
If you are someone who is confused about whether to spend money on duct cleaning services or not, then check the points below:
1. Affects HVAC System
The dirt, dust, and debris in your duct can negatively affect the HVAC system of your house, which can cause problems in heating and cooling. If the heat exchanger is clogged with dirt, in winter, it becomes unable to warm the air properly. The same problem happens in the summer. Coils covered with dirt cannot cool the air. Both of these increase the operation time of the system, resulting in more consumption of the fuel and energy to cool down or warm up your home.
2. Restricts Air Flow
Even if the HVAC system works fine, but the air filters are jammed with dirt, it can hamper the turn of the motor or blower fan. This will eventually make the system unable to circulate the cooled or warmed air. It will cause the system to operate for a longer period, requiring it to consume more energy.
3. Wears Out the System Sooner
If the HVAC system runs for a longer time, it has to endure more wear and tear, which will shorten the lifespan of the system, causing it to wear out much sooner.
4. Grows Bacteria and Other Particulates
In the duct, not only the fine dust accumulates but also the pet hair, dead skin, microorganisms, etc., pile up. It also contains particles like fungi, spores, mold, and pollen. Dirty and contaminated ducts can be an easy breeding home for many harmful bacteria, pests, and mites.
5. Makes Home Dirty Quickly
If the duct of your home is dirty, the dirt and dust will spread quickly from room to room. No matter how diligently you clean your rooms and remove the dirt, microscopic contaminants like detrimental allergens and bacteria easily flow throughout your dream home, covering the accessories whether it is your bed, smartphone, or your children’s toys.
When Do You Need to Clean the Duct?
A question may come to your mind that when is the right time to clean your duct. Well, it is a tough question to answer as there is no standard time to clean your duct. This mainly depends on the age and maintenance of the equipment.
You need to inspect your ducts to know for sure whether it needs cleaning or not. But to make sure whether it needs to be cleaned or not, you can count on doing the following things:
- You need to examine the inside of your vents to see if there is any dust, dirt, or debris or not. One of your vent covers is required to be opened for that.
- The return air registers are also needed to be checked. Dust build-up is another sign that your air duct needs cleaning, especially if the dust is fuzzy, thick, and coated.
- Take off the air filter, and take a look at the filter to see whether it is filled with dust or not. The clogged air filter can hamper the airflow, which will eventually help more dust and dirt to settle. As a result, your return ductwork will experience a heavy dust build-up.
- Open wide the furnace carriage to scrutinize the blower fan as well as the motor. Examine if there is any dust. If there is excess dust, then consider it a serious problem.
- Remove the panel and examine your air conditioning coil to check if it contains dust. Also, see if the dust is clinging to the housing walls. If so, then it means your air filter hasn’t been working efficiently.
What to Expect from Duct Cleaning Service?
There are a bunch of things that you are supposed to expect from your duct cleaning service providers, which are as follows:
- Inspecting the HVAC system of your home to assure if it is working properly or not.
- Opening every door and ports to make sure that the whole system is properly cleaned and thoroughly checked.
- Before cleaning, check the whole system to inspect the asbestos-containing materials. These materials are risky to disturb and should be removed only by the professionals who are specially trained for such removals.
- Evacuating particles out of the house by using a vacuum. Or to contain particles, HEPA vacuum can also be used.
- Avoiding any kind of harm to the carpeting and furnishing throughout the cleaning process.
- Removing all the dust and harmful particles by brushing the duct surface and using contact vacuums.
- Sealing and re-insulating access holes to protect the ductwork.
- Cleaning the fiberglass duct board. Soft-bristled brushes should be used in this process. The same goes for cleaning the metal ducts that are lined with fiberglass.
As for the fiberglass that contains ducts, it is important to use and maintain the air duct cleaning standards of NADCA and proper practices of NAIMA.
Don’t get surprised if the managers choose to utilize their own crews to handle the whole air duct cleaning procedure.
Don’t forget to request a mildew and mold control product. Make sure they are EPA-registered. A good example can be CoilShine-BC.
Products like these are designed to restrict the growth of mildew, mold, and odor-making bacteria on the surfaces.
It is necessary to clean your duct as the dirty duct can cause so many problems which not only lead you to spend more money eventually, but they can also cause a negative impact on your family’s health.
So, if you feel the necessity, don’t wait, call the cleaning services to improve your house quality and have a clean home with a clean duct.