The tricks interior designers often fail to share

If you seek to give your home a visual revamp but remain naive about how to do so or simply don’t know where to start, an interior designer could help you to break that mental deadlock.

Indeed, utilising an interior designer’s services can give you something of a shortcut in your endeavours to redesign your residence in a manner that better meets your artistic preferences and practical needs. However, they might not tell you everything – like these tricks…

Arranging bookshelves to the best effect

If you are a bookworm and have many tomes on a set of bookshelves, your knowledge of how to keep the books looking good on those shelves might be largely limited to making sure that all of the spines are showing. However, interior designers can know better…

They can know, for example, that laying 60% of books vertically and the other 40% horizontally can make a balanced yet spontaneous look, as Reader’s Digest says.

Laying a rug of an appropriate size

If you have a room where the rug provides the main focal point around which the rest of the room is arranged, you might still not have chosen the most suitable size of rug for that purpose.

For example, if your sofa is not on that rug but the chairs’ front legs are, it would be best for the rug to measure five by eight feet. If, however, the front legs of both the sofa and chairs are on that rug, it should ideally be eight by ten feet in size.

Being scientifically particular about the colour scheme

When trying to decide what colours should be used, you might not know what “dominant colours”, “secondary colours” and “accent colours” are.

Fortunately, an interior designer could enlighten you about these terms. Still, they may stop short of revealing that the dominant hue should make up 60% of a room, the secondary colour ought to take up 30%, while the accent colour should cover the remaining 10%.

Choosing a coffee table of the right measurements

Today, sofa seats tend to be roughly 20 inches in height, as this means that people can easily both sit down onto them and stand up from them.

Therefore, when buying a coffee table to be placed in front of that sofa, select a table of 15 to 20 inches tall. Then, when placing it, leave a gap of 18 inches between the table and the sofa; this gap would match the average distance between a person’s hip and their kneecap.

Mixing styles in a pleasantly seamless way

You might have some old items that you would like to keep in a room, but fail to aesthetically match the newer objects you want to display in that space as well.

It would still be possible to combine two distinct styles in a way that works, as Homedit explains. Along the same lines, you shouldn’t strictly be afraid to give a period home modern bi fold doors in Bristol – especially as the company Bifold Shop is based nearby.

Ads

You May Also Like

The Link Between Minimalism and Eco-friendly Living, and How to Capitalise on This

In many ways, there is an intrinsic link between the concepts of minimalism and ...

Making Your Home Feel More Like Your Home

If you’ve ever moved house, you know that it can be difficult to truly ...