The thought of selling your biggest asset is stressful. The thought of selling your biggest asset quickly is even more so. Although a lot of work, selling your home should be as hassle-free as possible, and below are some tips to make your home the most desirable on the market.
It’s easy to gravitate towards the cheapest estate agent, but it’s worth looking at their marketing strategies beforehand. For example, are their properties added to online platforms like Zoopla and Rightmove? With the popularity of smartphones and technology ever on the increase, it’s important to consider which platform best advertises your property to a wider audience.
Likewise, remember you can multi-agent. Most people think you’re restricted to one estate agent, but this isn’t the case. Generally speaking the more agents you have working for you, the more interest you’re likely to get, and therefore the higher your offers are likely to be. The down side to this is you’ll have to pay more in fees, but depending on your finances this could be a faster route to selling up.
It’s important to do your research on the current housing market, of course it’s easier to sell
your home in a stronger market and when demand is high. The market is generally
stronger in the spring, and then it picks up again in late summer/early autumn.
No matter your circumstance, there is an effective way to advertise your home.
Whether you’re looking to downsize after the children leave home, or you’re selling
a house after or before divorce, it is possible to sell your home
quickly for the best possible value.
Judge a Book by its Cover
In the property industry, people DO judge a book by its cover. Remember, you’re not only selling a house, but the ideology of a home – the place where buyers may plan for it to be the place, they’ll settle for years to come.
- Make sure your garden is tidy. Make sure pathways are clean, the grass is cut, and there are no weeds. If you have a hedge, make sure that’s trimmed too. Planting flowers and garden accessories are another great way of making your garden look truly cared for.
- Make sure your gate is well oiled and in working order. Yes, it may sound trivial, but no one feels welcomed into a property they struggle to get into.
- Likewise, if your door is looking a bit grubby, a clean or a lick of paint can give the property the overall illusion of being newer.
- Don’t have a welcome mat? Get one. A new, welcoming doormat can give off a warm and inviting vibe. If you choose one you like, then you can take it to your next home with you too. Win-win.
- Make sure your advertising pictures show your home at its best.
It’s What’s on the Inside that Counts
So now the outside of your home is looking idyllic, you’ll need an inside to match. Remember, buyers are judging from the moment they arrive, so even having things as small as an air freshener in the doorway, or the heating set at a warm and inviting temperature can make a difference.
- Before you do anything, hire a repairman to give your home the once over. You might not notice sound of the dripping tap in the bathroom anymore, but a fresh set of ears certainly will. One of the last things you (and the buyers) would want is to get to the surveyor stage of the sale, and for there to be a problem. At least this way you can have any problems fixed and be upfront about it.
- De-clutter. Although nostalgic for you, relics you’ve collected over the years may not be appealing for potential buyers. A good way to start, is by categorizing your clutter, and taking it from there.
- Changing the way your furniture is laid out can also give the illusion of a larger space and will help you show off each room to its full potential.
- Deep clean. Not only will it give your home an aura of sparkling cleanliness, but the air will be overall fresher. Especially if you have pets. You might love your dogs, but not everybody will.
- Plump your cushions and invest in a new plant. If any of your decor is out of date or looking a bit grubby, upgrade. The finer details are what potential buyers will really notice.
Above all, remember for the duration of this transaction, you are a salesperson. So, think and act like one, and you’ll be selling your home and moving on to pastures new in no time.